|Jesus by the sea - Alexandre Bida|
TO CHEW ON: "For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily." Colossians 2:9
"Colossians clearly portrays Jesus as superior to and preeminent over all things," writes Leslyn Musch in her Truth-In-Action Through Colossians commentary of my Bible. She says: "As you read this letter, look for all the things said about Christ" - Leslyn Musch, New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, p. 1671.
Let's take up her challenge and look for clues about Jesus in Colossians.
- He has a kingdom. Paul refers to "the Kingdom of the Son of His (the Father's) love" - Colossians 1:13.
- We are redeemed (bought back) through His blood - Colossians 1:14.
- We have forgiveness of sins through His blood - Colossians 1:14.
- He is the image of the invisible God - Colossians 1:15.
- He is the firstborn over all creation - Colossians 1:15.
- He created everything in heaven and earth - Colossians 1:16.
- He is before all things - Colossians 1:17.
- In Him all things consist - Colossians 1:17.
- He is the head of the body—the church - Colossians 1:18.
- He is called the "firstborn from the dead" giving Him the preeminence - Colossians 1:18.
- All the fullness dwells in Him - Colossians 1:19.
- He reconciles all things in heaven and earth to Himself - Colossians 1:20.
- In Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily - Colossians 2:9.
- He is the head of all principalities and powers - Colossians 2:10.
- He makes believers alive together with Him - Colossians 2:13.
- He disarmed and triumphed over principalities and powers - Colossians 2:15.
- He is now sitting at the right hand of God - Colossians 3:1.
- He will one day appear on earth again - Colossians 3:4.
- He will reward those who fear Him and serve Him in obedience - Colossians 3:23,24.
- He is a mystery - Colossians 4:3.
There is much to ponder and wrap one's head around here! Musch says, "Let faith rise in you as you see the unsurpassed greatness of who Jesus is and all that He has accomplished on our behalf" - source as above.
Let's take that challenge into our day!
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, these many aspects of You boggle my mind. Please illumine my mind and heart to begin to understand Your greatness, Your loveliness, and Your preeminence. Amen.
MORE: Fairest Lord Jesus - sung by Ross Parsley