HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
|"I am...the Bright and Morning Star" (Pixabay.com)|
TO CHEW ON: " 'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last. … I Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.' " Revelation 22:13,16
Since back in the beginning of April this year we have been reading, from time to time, in Revelation. Today as we come to its concluding words, I recall a challenge I put out on April 4th. It was to search through Revelation to list the names and titles that describe the divine-human relationship and the redemptive work of Christ.
I started my list on that day and over the last couple of days have skimmed through the book to complete it. What an inspiring survey!
I'm going to share my list with you today (though that makes this a very long devo—sorry about that!). Several disclaimers:
- I may have missed some names.
- I included descriptive passages that were not names per se.
- I used my simple understanding of the text to compile this list (didn't go to Bible commentaries and scholars).
- Of course I found lots of repetition so didn't mention each recurrence (the name or title of "Lamb," for example, recurs repeatedly).
These titles and descriptions suggest big-picture facts about Jesus. I have organized them in this way.
In Revelation, Jesus is revealed as:
- "Him… who created heaven and the things that are in it, the earth and the things that are in it" - Revelation 10:6.
- "Alpha and Omega" - Revelation 1:8,11; 21:6; 22:13.
- "Beginning and the End - Revelation 1:8; 21:6; 22:13.
- "Who was and is and is to come" - Revelation 1:8; 16:5.
- "the First and the Last" - Revelation 1:11,17; 22:13.
- "Him who lives forever and ever" - Revelation 5:14; 10:6.
- "… firstborn from the dead" - Revelation 1:6
- "Almighty" - Revelation 1:8.
- " 'I have the keys of death and of Hades' " - Revelation 1:18
- "He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens" - Revelation 3:7
- "The Lord God omnipotent" - Revelation 19:6.
- "He who is holy, He who is true…" Revelation 3:7.
- "The Faithful and True witness" - Revelation 3:14.
- "Faithful and True - Revelation 19:11.
- "Our Lord" - Revelation 11:8.
- "He is Lord of Lords …" - Revelation 17:14.
- "The Lord God omnipotent" - Revelation 19:6.
- "Lord Jesus" - Revelation 22:20.
- "Lord Jesus Christ" - Revelation 22:21.
- "Ruler of the kings of the earth" - Revelation 1:5.
- "… having on His head a golden crown" - Revelation 14:14.
- "He is … King of kings" - Revelation 17:4.
- "Jesus Christ, the faithful witness…" - Revelation 1:5; 3:14.
- "Alpha and Omega" - Revelation 1:8,11; 21:6; 22:13 (I include this here because these are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet and imply communication in writing or speech.)
- "For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy" - Revelation 19:10.
- "Word of God" - Revelation 19:13.
- "He who testifies to these things" - Revelation 22:20.
- Descended from God:
- "Son of God" - Revelation 2:18.
- "He who has the seven Spirits of God" - Revelation 3:1.
- "The beginning of the Creation of God" - Revelation 3:14.
- Human being: "You shall call His name Jesus," the angel told Mary of the child she would birth (Luke 1:31). Repeatedly the name of Jesus occurs in Revelation.
- "Jesus" - Revelation 1:1,2,5
- "Son of man" - Revelation 1:13; 14:14.
- "her child" and "male child" Revelation 12:4,5.
- Human being who was also called Messiah (Christos = anointed one):
- "Jesus Christ" - Revelation 1:1,2,5; 12:17.
- A Jew and source / descendant of David's royal family:
- "Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of Jesse" - Revelation 5:5.
- "I am the Root and the Offspring of David" - Revelation 22:16.
- Sacrifice (Lamb):
- "a Lamb as though it had been slain" - Revelation 5:6.
- "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world - Revelation 13:8.
- "These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them" - Revelation 17:14.
- Said of the New Jerusalem: "The Lamb is its light" - Revelation 21:22.
- "And her Child was caught up to God and His throne" - Revelation 12:4.
- Present with the Church:
- "… who walks in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks" - Revelation 2:1. (The candlesticks or lamp stands symbolize the churches - Revelation 1:20.)
- "Son of Man … in His hand a sharp sickle" - Revelation 14:14.
- "… out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword" - Revelation 1:16.
- "He who has the sharp two-edged sword" Revelation 2:12.
- "These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them" - Revelation 17:4.
- The Refined who is now a Refiner (Judge):
- "His eyes like a flame of fire, His feet like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace" - Revelation 1:15,16.
- "The Son of God who has eyes like a flame of fire and His feet like fine brass" - Revelation 2:18.
- "… and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength" - Revelation 1:16.
- Said of the New Jerusalem: "The Lamb is its Light" - Revelation 21:22.
- Unpredictable and mysterious:
- "Behold I am coming as a thief" - Revelation 16:15.
- "He had a name written that no one knew except Himself" - Revelation 19:12.
- Majestic in appearance and presence:
- "...and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters" - Revelation 1:13-15.
- Ruler over angels and the spirit realm:
- "The mystery of the seven stars which you saw in my right hand. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches" - Revelation 1:20.
- "I am … the Bright and Morning Star" - Revelation 22:16. (Compare with the description of Satan's fall from heaven in Isaiah 14 where he is referred to as a "morning star" - Isaiah 14:12-15 NIV.)
- God's final word:
- "... the Amen..." - Revelation 3:14; 22:20,21.
What an invitation and inspiration to be in awe and worship Jesus—our Saviour, the One who has invited us to call Him friend (John 15:15-17).
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, I worship with Revelation's thousands and thousands:
"Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
To receive power and riches and wisdom
And strength and honor and glory and blessing." - Revelation 5:12.
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.