|Exalted Jesus - church in Montaicino, Italy (Image: pixabay.com)|
TODAY'S SPECIAL: Ephesians 1:15-23
TO CHEW ON: "He [God] raised Him [Jesus] from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come." Ephesians 1:20,21
In describing how highly Jesus was exalted, Paul didn't leave any area uncovered.
- Seated Him at God's right hand in heaven.
- Placed Him not just above but "far above all principality and power and might and dominion."
- Exalted Him far above every name that is named.
- His exalted state applies in every generation, and beyond this life i.e. it never changes ("… not only in this age but also in that which is to come" - Ephesians 1:21).
- He is the head of the church, currently His body on earth - Ephesians 1:22,23.
This is a prayer that needs to be answered in each new generation. We in the 21st century need to grasp and claim the extent and benefits of Christ's work and current exalted state for our generation as much as Paul's readers did for theirs.
Do we understand that there are no new governments or military powers, including the demonic entities behind them, that supersede Jesus' power? His power is far above that of ISIS, or any repressive regimes, or our own more benign democracies that have taken a satanically inspired direction in legalizing death (abortion and euthanasia), celebrating sexual deviance, encouraging drug use, etc.
What do we do in the meantime, while it looks like those principalities, powers, and dominions are winning? At least two things:
1. Put on God's armor so we can stand against the spiritual forces behind these developments - Ephesians 6:10-13.
2. By faith encourage ourselves and each other with the facts - Ephesians 1:21,22.
PRAYER: Dear Jesus, though Paul's statement of Your exaltation may sometimes seem like wishful thinking, please answer the earlier part of Paul's prayer in me by giving the spirit of wisdom and revelation, and opening the eyes of my understanding about You. Amen.
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.