TO CHEW ON: "There are sixty queens
And eighty concubines
And virgins without number.
My dove, my perfect one,
Is the only one..." Song of Solomon 6:8,9
The TV trailers are full of intense conversation and emotion between four women and one man. The scene usually ends in one of the women dissolving into tears. I'm talking about Sister Wives, the TV reality show about a polygamous marriage that looks nothing but painful.
Our society supposedly frowns on multiple marriage partners. Yet our actions show us to be hypocritical. Books, shows, and real life are full of adultery. The use of pornography (a type of unfaithfulness), is rampant not only among men and women but even teens.
Though the Bible contains many examples of polygamy (Solomon being its most numerous polygamist - 1 Kings 11:3) its ideal is monogamy.
- God instituted marriage between one man and one woman when He formed the first couple - Genesis 2:24.
- Moses' instructions to Israel's future king was "neither shall he multiply wives for himself..." Deuteronomy 17:17.
- Malachi 2 talks about being faithful to "the wife of your youth."
- Jesus referred to God's plan of one woman being joined to one man in Matthew 19:4-6 and quoted Genesis 2:24.
- Paul's instructions to a leader was that he was to be "the husband of one wife" - 1 Timothy 3:2.
I like how Leslyn Musch sums up the Song of Solomon's message about satisfying one-man-one-woman marriage:
"Faithfulness, verbal affirmation, friendship, romantic getaways, working through conflict, and availability are but a few of the keys given in the Song of Solomon to building a godly marriage. It is not Solomon's life we are to examine for instruction in a godly marriage. However, this Song—God's inspired picture of what a godly loving marriage can be—invites us to reach toward it wholeheartedly" - Leslyn Musch, Truth-In-Action through Song of Solomon, New Spirit-Filled Life Bible, p 868.
PRAYER: Dear God please help me to stay completely faithful to my husband and to work at making my marriage the best it can be. Amen.
MORE: "10 Reasons not to have sex outside of marriage"
Though the heading above is the title of an article written for the not-yet-married person, many of its reasons also apply to extramarital relationships. A few of them are:
- We will be physically healthier.
- We will be emotionally healthier.
- we will be spiritually healthier.
Read all 10 reasons and the scriptures to back them up HERE
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.