TO CHEW ON: "Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." Philippians 2: 14-15 (ESV)
The story of light is woven through the Bible.
- God created light (Isaiah 45:7).
- He lives in light (1 Timothy 6:16).
- He is clothed in light (Psalm 104:2).
- His sight penetrates darkness (Psalm 139:11-12).
- His light is our life (John 1:4).
- His word gives light (Psalm 119:130).
- The Gospel is called light (2 Corinthians 4:3-4).
- God's people are called children of light (1 Thessalonians 5:4-5).
- A person's way of seeing and interpreting life (the eye) demonstrates whether one is a child of light or darkness (Luke 11:34-35).
- We are blessed when we walk (live) in the light of His face (Psalm 89:15).
- Crafty Satan, knowing the power of light, disguises himself as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14)
- We battle him wearing the armour of light (Romans 13:12)
- And we are to be a light to those around us by our good works (Matthew 5:16, Luke 8:15, Ephesians 5:8-9) and by refraining from grumbling and complaining (Philippians 2:14-15).
However, going against our natural instincts/tendencies to grumble and complain is the outworking of an attitude that is deep-rooted and affects all of life. It proves that we accept God's sovereignty in little and big circumstances. It demonstrates our trust in Him and His ability to deal well with us. And it is one more bit of evidence that we are players in the eternal story of light.
PRAYER: Dear God, please help me make the connections between my behaviour and living as a child of light. May my thoughts, words and actions today be thoughts, words, and actions of light. Amen.
MORE: A thought
"...we either add to the darkness of indifference...or we light a candle to see by..." Madeline L'Engle (quoted in Patches of Godlight - Jan Karon)
Scriptures marked ESV are from the ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®) copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. ESV® Text Edition: 2011. The ESV® text has been reproduced in cooperation with and by permission of Good News Publishers. Unauthorized reproduction of this publication is prohibited. All rights reserved.