|Moses on Mount Nebo - Artist unknown|
TO CHEW ON: "But since then there has not arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face." Deuteronomy 34:10
Moses was a unique individual who did a lot of amazing things.
- His upbringing in scribe-enamored Egypt gave him the education to write most of the first five books of the Bible.
- He performed incredible miracles (or, God performed then through him)
- He led without fear, overcoming resistance, criticism, rebellion, revolt, discouragement, and harsh conditions.
But none of these things are mentioned on his 'gravestone'—this passage which sums up his life. Instead, he is memorable because of his friendship with God: "But since then there has not arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face" (see also Exodus 33:11; Numbers 12:8).
The Bible makes claims of people having such intimacy with God only a few times. Here are some that come to mind:
- Enoch walked with God (Genesis 5:24).
- Abraham was also called God's friend - 2 Chronicles 20:7; James 2:23.
- David was called a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14).Moses' epitaph as a man with whom God talked face to face brings me to the question, What will be the lasting impression of my life? What about yours?
Oh that it would be something that is more durable than deed or accomplishment—like being known as God's friend!
PRAYER: Dear God, as I go through life, help me to view my relationships, efforts and accomplishments through the lens of what is of lasting importance. Amen.
MORE: Feast of the Transfiguration
Today the church celebrates the Feast of the Transfiguration where Moses and Elijah appear on the mountain with Jesus.
The day's liturgy begins with this collect:
O God, who on the holy mount revealed to chosen witnesses your well-beloved Son, wonderfully transfigured, in raiment white and glistening: Mercifully grant that we, being delivered from the disquietude of this world, may by faith behold the King in his beauty; who with you, O Father, and you, O Holy Spirit, lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Subscribe to my newsletter coming September 1st.
Get book recommendations, Bible study tips, author news plus a full-colour 18-month Pathways Scripture text calendar when you sign up!
Sign up below:
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.