|Pharaoh & Joseph - Artist unknown|
TO CHEW ON: "And Pharaoh said to his servants, 'Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?'" - Genesis 41:38
The answer to Pharaoh's rhetorical question—'No we can't find another man like this'—led to Joseph rising in one day from a prisoner to Pharaoh's assistant. Pharaoh recognized there was something different about this man. He identified it as "the Spirit of God" (some scholars say that the correct translation should be "the spirit of a god").
The possibility of God's Spirit living in people is a theme that runs through both Old and New Testaments.
- The prophet Ezekiel promised it for help in keeping God's laws - Ezekiel 36:27.
- Like Joseph, Daniel's ability to tell the meanings of dreams came from the Spirit of God - Daniel 4:8.
- Jesus called Him the Spirit of truth who dwells with and in disciples - John 14:17.
- Paul talked about how we can overcome the carnal nature through the Spirit's indwelling presence - Romans 8:9.
- The Spirit helps us to do the good we know we should - 2 Timothy 1:14.
- He teaches us - 1 John 2:27.
- In fact, He lives in us. We are His "temple" - 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19.
What an awesome privilege to welcome into the home of our feeble, failing bodies the Spirit of the living God. Let's meditate on, claim, and live in this amazing truth as we go through this day!
PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for making possible this way of experiencing You. Help me not to quench or inhibit Your work in my life through Your Spirit today. Amen.
Unless otherwise noted all Scripture quotations are taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to my newsletter coming September 1st.
Get book recommendations, Bible study tips, author news plus a full-colour 18-month Pathways Scripture text calendar when you sign up!
Sign up below: